Ever have a bunch of kale in your refrigerator that was just past its prime? Not sure how to eat this kale because it's not quite fresh enough for a raw kale salad or smoothie and not crisp enough for kale chips...try a wilted kale salad.
Wilted Kale Salad
zest and juice of one small lemon
2 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp sea salt
pinch of thyme
¼ cup raw pecans
1 tsp coconut oil
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 grapefruit, sectioned
2 roasted beets, sliced
- In a large salad bowl combine lemon zest and juice with olive oil, mustard, sea salt and thyme.
- Toast the pecans over medium heat on a dry skillet for a few minutes until fragrant and then set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in skillet and then add kale, cook the kale for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until just a bit wilted.
- Toss spinach and kale with the lemon dressing
- Add onion, grapefruit and beets to the salad
- Top with toasted pecans
This salad is best enjoyed immediately after preparation because the dressing will turn the kale brown overnight.